Monday, November 9, 2009

Ft. Hood and Gun Rights.

When are we going to learn that the bad guys, the criminals of this world, do not care what the law says.  This incident at Ft. Hood took place in an area of the base where guns were not allowed to be carried, unless you were military police or other qualified personnel.  Had everyone been carrying a weapon, then this guy would not have killed so many.  Lives could have been saved.  Gun free zones are killing zones.  Would anyone put a sign in front of their house saying something like, "This is a gun-free zone, we have no guns in this house!"  Isn't that just an invitation to the villians to target your house?  If I want to rob a home, rape someone or attack someone, I would prefer to target the unarmed.  This is how criminals think.  The pick their targets where they can be the most effective.  What better place to target than those people you know can do the least to protect themselves.  The right to own a gun isn't about having the ability to own a gun that I can hang on the wall like a piece of art.  Gun rights is about the ability to protect ourselves from the evil in this world.  Just because I own a firearm doesn't mean I am qualified to enforce the law.  That's not what it is about.  If I am a concealed carry license holder and I'm in a store that is being robbed.  It is not my duty to enforce the law concerning robbery.  If no one is being hurt or threatened, it is wiser to stay out of it.  The only time I would draw my weapon is if someone is threatening my life or the life of someone else.  Just like owning a fire extinguisher doesn't make you a fireman, owning a gun doesn't make me a law enforcer.  Gun owners are for the most part, law abiding citizens who use guns for sport, recreation and mostly self protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment